Motability FAQs

Explore Frequently Asked Questions about the Motability Scheme

Cars Available from £0 Advance Payment

As a recognised partner of the Motability Scheme, Inchcape have highly-trained experts to help you with every aspect of the Motability process. From eligibility and financing, right through to finding the right vehicle to suit your requirements, we have the knowledge and expertise to help make the process simple.

The Motability scheme is in place to allow people to lease a new car or wheel chair accessible vehicle (WAV) in exchange for their mobility allowance. The choice of vehicle is up to you, with a wide range of vehicles, trim levels and prices available at Inchcape. After selecting your chosen vehicle and any modifications, paying for your new vehicle could not be easier, the payments being deducted from your mobility allowance. A standard lease through Motability runs over the course of three years, or five if you are leasing a WAV.

To be eligible to join the Motability Scheme, you must receive one of these disability allowances:

  • Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
If you receive any of the above allowances and have at least 12 months award remaining, you can exchange all or part of the allowance to cover the cost of a lease agreement

Only these allowances can be used through the Motability Scheme.


What does the Motability Scheme lease package include?

The Motability leasing package includes:
  • Insurance from RSA Motability
  • Servicing and maintenance
  • Full RAC breakdown assistance
  • Annual car tax
  • Kwik Fit replacement tyres
  • Windscreen repair/replacement
  • 60,000 mileage allowance over three years (or 100,000 for WAV customers)
  • Many adaptations at no extra cost

How do I make an insurance claim?

If you are involved in an accident in your car or Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV), you will need to call RSA Motability (RSAM) on 0300 037 3737 to report the incident. They will advise whether any repairs are required and arrange alternative transport for you if needed. If your vehicle is stolen or vandalised, you should first report this to the police to get a crime reference number and then speak to RSAM.

What do I do if I have broken down?

If your car has broken down, contact the RAC. They are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. A patrol will attend your car and repair or recover to a repairer/dealership. The RAC can provide ongoing transport to ensure you can continue your journey. If help is needed to stay mobile during this time a hire car can be requested from the RAC. The RAC can provide a hire car for a 48 hour period if requested within 48 hours of them attending the car.

Am I covered for interior damage to the car?

Your insurance policy does not cover loss or damage to trim and upholstery in the car, unless this arises as a result of an accident which requires bodywork repair and or mechanical repairs.

Can I have a pet in the car?

You can use your Scheme car in the same way that a family car would be used (e.g. carrying pets). We recognise that all cars will show wear and tear with use however, you are not covered for interior damage to the vehicle under the insurance policy. Any interior repairs would need to be paid for by you.

How much does leasing through the Scheme cost?

There are three pricing options to choose from. Some cost less than your weekly allowance, others cost the same as your weekly allowance, and some require an Advance Payment.

How do I apply to the Motability Scheme to lease a vehicle?

If you are eligible for the Scheme, all you need to do is contact your nearest Motability dealership and arrange an appointment with our Motability Scheme specialist. Our helpful team will guide you through the process.

Do I have to be the driver of my Motability Scheme car?

Lots of our customers don't drive. That's why the insurance with your lease is for up to three named drivers, so your car could be driven by a family member, friend or carer.