How to Apply

If you are wondering how to apply for a Motability car, Inchcape Volkswagen is here to help.

Am I eligible to apply for a Motability car?

Before we explain the application itself, it is important that you are in receipt of one of the following in order to be eligible for a vehicle through the Motability scheme:

  • The Higher Rate Mobility Component (HRMC) of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
  • The Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component (ERMC) of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
  • The War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS).
  • The Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP).
  • Motability by either calling their customer service team on 0300 456 4566 or by visiting the Motability website.
  • The Disability Living Allowance section of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) by either contacting 0845 712 3456 or heading to the DWP website.
  • The Veterans Agency by contacting the team responsible for the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement on 0800 169 2277 or taking a look at the Veterans UK website.

I’m eligible for the Motability scheme — how do I get a Motability car?

To apply for a Motability car, simply follow these easy steps:

1. Contact us to arrange your Motability application:

Click here to get in touch with your local Inchcape Volkswagen Motability retailer and arrange your appointment.

2. Prepare your documentation:

When applying for a Motability car, you are required to bring along all of the following documents to your appointment:

Drivers’ licence(s)


As the proposed applicant for a Motability car, you will be required to accept electronic verification of your licence with the DVLA.

Should you refuse permission or if your licence is not DVLA issued (i.e. it was issued in Northern Ireland or overseas), a copy must be sent to your Inchcape Volkswagen Motability retailer to forward on to or sent by fax to 0117 979 8668.

A recent utility bill

This can be a gas bill, electricity bill or a bank statement, although it must be less than three months old.

Notice of entitlement

You must qualify for the Motability Scheme, so you must have a 12-month allowance at the time of your Contract Hire application. Therefore, we require a copy of your DWP letter or, if you are an appointee, a copy of your nominator’s letter. If you wish to apply for a grant, you should stop your application at this point and instead contact the Customer Helpline on 0845 456 4566 for further assistance. An application as a War Pensioner can only be submitted online if you do not require financial assistance or an automatic gearbox. Should you require either of these, please contact your nearest Inchcape Volkswagen Motability retailer.

3. Meet us to discuss your application:

Once you have prepared all of the necessary documentation, head along to your local Inchcape Volkswagen Motability retailer at the time and date of your appointment. We will sit with you to discuss all aspects of what is needed in order for you to complete your application.

4. We'll do the rest!:

This one is a very easy step, as your local Inchcape Volkswagen Motability retailer will manage your application on your behalf so that you can get your Motability car in next to no time and with no stress.