Motability vehicles are likely to be used on a daily basis for years to come. Therefore, you should take the time to ensure the vehicle you select is perfect for you.Inchcape's Motability car buying checklist covers all of the points that you need to consider when choosing your new Motability car. Work your way through the list below.
- What is your budget for a new car, taking into account your allowance? It’s best to have a maximum amount in mind and stick to it.
- How much will insurance and road tax be?
- What is the tax rate of the vehicle that you are planning to purchase? Our Motability specialists will be able to tell you this if you’re unsure.
- Does the car that you’re interested in come with free servicing, extended warranty and/or roadside assistance?
- Do you have to pay for any toll charges while driving your car? Think about any tunnels or bridges that are involved in your commute, as well as whether you live in an area with a congestion charge.
Finding your perfect type of car
- Which is your preferred fuel system?
- Which body style; estate, hatchback, MPV or saloon car?
- Preferred transmission; manual or automatic?
- Do you plan to use your car regularly for short commutes or long drives?
- Will you want your car to have three doors, five doors or more?
- Will your vehicle be towing a caravan or trailer on occasion?
- How large will you need the boot of your new vehicle to be?
- Will you be more often driving along a motorway or around a busy city centre?
- Do you require any special controls or adaptations to be fitted to your new vehicle? Click here for Motability Adaptions Guide.
Ahead of visiting the dealership
- Have you booked an appointment with one of our Motability specialists?
- Will someone be coming with you to the dealership, especially a person with some knowledge of cars — they may think of questions that you haven’t considered.
- If you are going to be nominating a driver instead of driving the new car yourself, will they be able to come to the dealership with you?
- Have you packed your wheelchair or any other mobility aid that you use ahead of your visit to a dealership? You will want to ensure these items are easy to load and unload in the new vehicle that you plan to buy.
Once you’re at the dealership
- Have you asked one of our Motability specialists every question about the new car that you plan to buy and the Motability scheme itself?
- Have you requested a test drive of the vehicle that has caught your eye? Click here for Motability Test Drive.
- Have you asked if your current car can be traded in to the dealership? Its value could reduce the Advance Payment for buying your new vehicle.
- Do you plan on naming a driver under the age of 25 on the insurance policy of your new vehicle? If so, be sure to speak to one of our Motability specialists about any young driver restrictions that may apply to the car that you plan to purchase.
By this point, hopefully you have filled in everything on our Motability vehicle checklist Now all what’s left to do is to head to your nearest Inchcape Volkswagen Motability dealership and buy your perfect new car. We look forward to seeing you.