We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our site and allow us and third parties to customise the marketing content you see across websites and social media. By managing your preferences here, you can refine the data you are happy for us to track. By using our site, you agree to our Privacy Policy

Your Privacy

When you visit any web site, it may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. This information might be about you, your preferences or your device and is mostly used to make the site work as you expect it to. The information does not usually directly identify you, but it can give you a more personalised web experience.
Because we respect your right to privacy, you can choose not to allow some types of cookies. Click on the different category headings to find out more and change our default settings (click 'Accept' to opt in or 'Reject' to opt out). However, blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience of the site and the services we are able to offer.

Strictly Necessary Cookies


Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for our website to function properly. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of our website, anonymously.

The site needs these cookies

Analytical/Performance Cookies

Analytical cookies help us to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help us to provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps us to deliver a better browsing and user experience for the visitors.


Advertisement cookies help us decide which products, services and offers may be relevant for you. We use this data to customise the marketing content you see on websites, apps and social media. They also help us understand the performance of our marketing activities. These cookies are set by us or our carefully-selected third parties.
Inchcape Brexit Advice

The Impact of Brexit

The impact of Brexit for UK motorists

How will Brexit influence motoring?

Brexit Impact on Car Sales

70% of cars sold in the UK are imported from Europe. In 2020, despite some manufacturers introducing price protection schemes, Brexit uncertainty and coronavirus saw a total of 1.63 million cars sold, 29% less than in 2019.  

On the 30th December, the UK agreed a trade deal with the EU which prevented a 10% tariff being applied to cars imported from Europe. As a result the predicted price increases on cars which would have seen consumers paying more has been avoided. This deal should inspire more confidence in car purchases compared to 2020.
Audi Range

Brexit Advice Inchcape

Brexit Impact on Car Insurance

Always check first with your car insurance provider to ask if you are covered to drive your car into Europe. Ensure you contact your provider with plenty of time to spare before you plan to travel, to allow time for the documents to arrive and modifications to your policy to be added. You will be required to carry a Green Card when travelling outside of the UK from 1st January 2021. 

The Green Card is an internationally recognised certificate of insurance, a physical document proving you are insured. Green Cards are normally valid for 15 days, but you may be able to extend this through talking to your car insurance provider. 

Brexit Impact on Driving Abroad

From the 1st January 2021 if you hold a paper driving license you are required to carry an IDP (International Driving Permit) to drive in Europe. These can be obtained from a Post Office and cost around £5.50, you will need to carry both your UK driving license and IDP. Country specific information can be found on the government website. 

Your car must have GB stickers on it unless your number plate has GB printed on it. For driving in Spain, Cyprus or Malta you will require a GB sticker no matter what. In many cases it may just be easier to stick a GB sticker onto your car if you are driving into Europe. 

If you own your car you'll need to carry your V5C log book with you, if the car is hired or leased you will need a VE103 form to show you have permission to take it out of the UK. 

Brexit Advice Inchcape